Non-profits & Media advocating for good!
Advocacy is an internationally acclaimed tool for Civil Society, in its efforts to bring institutional change to important social problems. In Greece, especially in the periphery, advocacy activities are either limited, or of limited efficiency, with exceptions in human rights, environmental or social welfare issues.
This is attributed to 2 factors:
– Firstly, non-profit organizations (NPOs) in Greece lack knowledge and expertise regarding advocacy’s methodology and tools, in order to design and implement effective relevant activities
– Secondly, the negative image of non-profits in the media and the general public pose as an obstacle to the potential communication and collaboration of all parties for a good cause and their active participation to decision-making.
Τhe project “Non-profits & Media advocating for good!” aims to strengthen civil society advocacy and watchdog role in Greece. To achieve that, the project offers a framework of experiential training & collaboration, benefitting 32 media representatives and 32 non-profits’ staff in 4 cities of Greece, selected based on that fact that they have both vibrant NPO communities and media as well as significant social issues, in order to co-create and implement together advocacy activities.
HIGGS will act as a project promoter and will undertake the design, support and monitoring of the implementation of the project and the coordination of the participating NPOs. Also, HIGGS will be coordinating the 3 partners of the project:
– the Aristotle University of Thessaloniki,
– the Open Knowledge Foundation Greece and
– the non-profit Journalism Initiative,
that will assist in organizing and implementing the seminars, in advisory support of the NPOs and the media and the dissemination of the project.